Companies House creates a duplicate entry where differing information is submitted on official documents at the registry (for example a variation on name or change of address).
In order to ensure that Company Check accurately reflects the data held on the public record, we do not make assumptions or attempts to merge any entries.
If you suspect multiple records for the same director, it's usually simple to find the links between them. Some tips:
- Search with and without middle names (Jane Smith / Jane Louise Smith)
- Be aware of possible nicknames or misspellings (Johnathan / Jonathan / John / Jon)
- Consider maiden and married names
- Should always be identical
- Not always provided for a Company Secretary position
- Addresses are not validated by Companies House so a postcode typo could go undiscovered
- Consider that an individual may have moved house since they last filed at Companies House
If you need our advice, submit a ticket and we'll be happy to help.
An example of a director with two listings
Sir Richard Branson:
RICHARD CHARLES NICHOLAS BRANSON Director ID: 918713322
Registered Address: Richard's House Necker Island, The Valley, Virgin Gorda, Virgin Islands, British,
RICHARD CHARLES NICHOLAS BRANSON Director ID: 903949875
Registered Address: Richard's House,, Necker Island,, The Valley, Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands,
You can see that although the addresses are very similar, the first described the address as "Virgin Islands, British", while the second listing lists the address as "British Virgin Islands".